This year, Chinese New Year falls on February 8th and this 2016, it will be the Year of the Red Fire Monkey. It is predicted that anything associated with the water element will bring good fortune, and that the colors blue, black, and gray will bring luck as well.
If you observe the new year as traditional Chinese, you would know that the New Year’s Dinner is especially important. Typically, the family gathers (a family reunion with family from far away, most likely) around a table set with food meant to bring prosperity and good tidings for the year. Often, this would include fish and dumplings.
From February 1 to February 29, you can welcome the Chinese New Year at Crystal Dragon at City of Dreams Manila and partake in the lunch and dinner set menu selections especially created for this occasion. These menus feature exceptional Cantonese fare and is ideal for sharing with family and friends.
For diners who prefer to craft their own New Year’s menu, a la carte selections for the season are also available.
Crystal Dragon is the perfect setting as a modern Oriental venue where authentic premium Chinese dishes are served with contemporary flair. This means that you can expect the most traditional menu to be exquisitely executed, with specialty menus included, naturally. I can say this as I was able to sample these special dishes at a press launch held recently.
(Incidentally, Crystal Dragon is one of the Philippines’ Top 20 Best Restaurants of 2016, as named by luxury lifestyle magazine Philippine Tatler.)
For this February, choose between two special menus:
1. The seven-course Chinese New Year Elegant Menu, featuring:
- Prosperity Salmon Fish Yu Shang with Fruit Salad, a dish tossed and mixed as high as possible to symbolize success and wealth
- Braised Eight Sea Treasure and Shredded Abalone Broth
- Steamed Cod with Baby Cabbage in Supreme Soy, Hong Kong Style, the cod fish signifying abundance as fish is one of the eight Buddhist symbols of good fortune
- Stir Fried Prawns with Butter, Curry Leaf and Crispy Egg Threads
- Wok-Fried Glutinous Rice and Wild Rice with Barbecue Pork Meat Wrapped in Lotus Leaf, the sticky rice symbolizing unity, while the rice represents a gathering of people
- Chilled Red Bean Puree served with Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Double Flavor of Chinese New Year Nian Gao Platter, a traditional Chinese New Year specialty that represents prosperity and fortune.
2. The eight-course Chinese New Year Treasures Menu, which includes
- Prosperity Salmon Fish Yu Shang with Rock Melon Salad
- Double Boiled Fish Maw and Dried Scallop with Abalone in Cordycep Flower Soup
- Steamed Sea Grouper with Shredded Ginger in Homemade Soy Sauce, reaffirming fish as a symbol of good fortune
- Oven Roasted Fragrant Chicken Coated with Sesame Seeds
- Stewed Sea Cucumber, Roasted Pork Belly and Fish Maw with Green Vegetables
- Stir-Fried Egg Noodles with Seafood, Mushrooms and Shredded Cabbage (the egg is believed to characterize fertility, money, wealth and gold, while the long, uncut noodles represent a long life)
- Warm Sweetened Eight Treasures Tea with Ginseng in Honey
- Double Flavor of Chinese New Year Nian Gao Platter – both desserts embody a “sweet” start to the Chinese New Year.
I was “lucky” enough to sample some of the dishes from both menus… here they are :
Both menus come with traditional Chinese Tea, of course. And for desserts, we were able to try two :
The Chinese New Year Elegant Menu is priced at P3,690++ per person for a minimum of four to six persons, while the Chinese New Year Treasures Menu may be availed for P5,690++ per person for a minimum of six to ten persons.
Take note that this Chinese New Year celebration’s month-long promo is integrated with City of Dreams Manila‘s first anniversary!
As such, for all of February, guests dining at The Tasting Room, Crystal Dragon, Nobu Manila, Red Ginger, Crystal Lounge, Café Society, Chez Gingy at DreamPlay, Breezes and Wave will receive Hong Baos with complimentary dining credits when their single transaction receipt reaches a minimum of P4,000.
So now that the new year is a few days away, let me be the first to greet you all : Gong Hei Fat Choy! May we all receive good luck, good health, success and prosperity this year of the Red Fire Monkey!
Upper Ground Floor, Crown Towers, Tower 1
For reservations: 800-8080 (24 hours),691-7782
Open during lunch, from 12 noon until 3 pm with last orders taken at 2:30 pm, and dinner starting at 6 pm to 11 pm with last seating at 10 pm and last orders at 10:30 pm.