If you follow my Instagram, you would have noticed my raving about cookies by The Bald Baker, particularly his Compost Cookie. So I’m really excited to have him on The Spoiled Mummy to share a recipe that is easy (but with scrumptious results) for us to try.
The Bald Baker is Cy Ynares, who, until recently, was working in advertising. But after a long vacation in the US, things changed. Cy says, ” I came back to the Philippines with no plan set but filled with drive and passion to pursue something that I loved—cooking, baking, and eating.”
It turns out that Cy has always had a connection to cooking and baking. He shares, “My mom worked in a cookie store in the US where I spent many afternoons as a kid. I guess that’s where my passion for baking was sparked. Since then I spent several hours in the kitchen growing up and experimenting with whatever ingredients we had in the fridge. Now when my parents decided to migrate back to the Philippines to run for office, I opted taking a culinary course in college, but ended up taking psychology instead. Shortly after graduating from DLSU, I finally pursued pastry arts in ISCAHM.”
For The Spoiled Mummy, The Bald Baker has given us one of the first brownie recipes he’s ever made: Simple Espresso Brownies. Anyone can do it: no mixer needed and creates fudgy and dense brownies!
And should you want, you can still opt to omit the espresso to make just plain chocolate brownies — it’s perfect for our little ones!
Simple Espresso Brownies
2 stick of butter (225grams)
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips
3 to 4 tablespoons of your favorite espresso (ground)
435 grams of granulated sugar or 1 and 3/4 cups
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and line a 9 x 13 brownie pan and set aside.
- Mix the flour and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, remove from heat. Add the espresso and chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the butter-espresso-chocolate mixture in a large bowl, then add the eggs two at a time. Whisk until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla.
- Finally, with a spatula, fold in the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture slowly. Mix until fully incorporated. Don’t overmix!
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool inside the pan for 15 minutes and then transfer onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Cut into equal portions and serve.
If you want to try The Bald Baker’s own creations, reach him through:
+63 917 511 6370